[CT Birds] Southport Survey 141

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Mon Mar 31 21:43:14 EDT 2008

Survey # 141 31 March 2008

It was high tide,  Sunken Island was completely covered, the water
was calm and the sky overcast.

Off shore. The Long-tailed Ducks were flying about. Also about were
the Red-throated Loons and a few Horned Grebe.The White-winged
Scoters remain. The Gannet was a surprise, I only have seen it 9
times on the route and this was the second spring record.Closer to
shore Most of the Horned grebe were in seveal big flocks the bigest
one was 30 birds (when the water is flat they tend to be further off
shore).  The puddle ducks continue at the mouth of the creek at
Southport Beach. Still no Double-creasted Cormorants. It looks like
the Ring-billed Gulls have mostly moved through but it is hard to
tell. Immatres made up 10% of the birds.

The Osprey returned, actually I saw it several days ago. This osprey
nets on channel marker off Southport harbor. It first showed up about
3 years ago. Every year the sticks get blown away during the winter
and they must start from scratch. And, they pile the sticks at least
6’ high to get the platform above the big green sign!

Near by at the Pine Creek Open Space the Ospreys nest on the lights
of a baseball field. (This year I saw the same situation at Calf
Pasture Beach in Norwalk. In the past there was one at Cummings Park
and had Monk Parakeets nesting in the bottom)

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

Fairfield, Sunken Island, South Pine Creak Beach, Sasco Beach,
Southport Harbor and Southport Beach 7:20-9:10

March (Tide)	15(H)	24(L)	31(H)
Brant	54	222	47
Canada Goose	56	123	72
Mute Swan      	4	3	4