[CT Birds] Coastal Center sightings- Common Redpolls, Pintail

Ken Elkins kelkins at ctaudubon.org
Tue Apr 1 17:06:59 EDT 2008

>From Ken Elkins and Frank Gallo-
4/1 - Milford, CT Audubon Coastal Center - 11 COMMON REDPOLLS, 2 NORTHERN PINTAIL, 1 imm WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW

There are still a few Redpolls visiting the feeder, I managed a high count of 11 birds early in the morning, and groups of 2-5 visited the feeders throughout the day.  They're also eating the seeds of the sycamore tree near the gazebo, and the buds of the hackberry (large trees over the path to the beach).  It was interesting how the filters on eBird changed, it asked me to confirm the redpolls and 14 American Tree Sparrows.  Many of the Tree sparrows are singing, with one who has an odd set of introductory notes that are eerily similar to a yellow warbler.

Hopefully the redpolls stick around for a few more days, I'm surprised they didn't fuel up this morning and take off with the favorable winds.

Here's our full list of sightings from the windows of the Coastal Center:

Location:     Milford Point
Observation date:     4/1/08
Number of species:     36

Canada Goose     18