[CT Birds] ebird updates

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 14:58:02 EDT 2008

Thanks to Ken and Steve for additional information. I enter data into eBird on just about a daily basis but I didn't realize exactly how much was now going in from CT until Ken put a number on it.

  It's a chance for everyone to make their observations much more meaningful.

  Highly recommended.

  Greg Hanisek

Steve Morytko <smorytko at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Greg et al,

Thanks for the information regarding the new features found in eBird. This could really turn into a researcher's dream database. I'm seeing some very old information in the CT database which suggests that people have been entering historical data too. So far Patrick Comins has the oldest sighting from Mar 30, 1930 ... he really looks a lot younger than 77 ;>).

We have a local email list that I may be able to mine for valuable data. For those with databases and spreadsheets of sightings you may want to visit the eBird page:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/about/aboutimportingdata.html

where there are helpful tips regarding importing data to eBird.

BTW, the Red-headed Woodpecker is still in the yard - 6 months next week.

Steve

Steve Morytko
288 Varga Rd.
Ashford, CT 06278 USA