[CT Birds] The oriole in Canaan

Clay Taylor ctaylor at att.net
Thu Apr 3 00:09:35 EDT 2008

Mark -

Well done!   This is where we all can make contributions to avian
knowledge - be on the lookout for the "weird stuff", and document it however
possible.

On the subject of DNA, if the oriole is observed to shed a feather while in
the yard, would analysis of its DNA be enough of a marker to further define
this bird?   In other words, are Bullock's and Baltimore separated enough to
determine an intergrade?

 The Junkin Warbler from NY had its DNA analyzed from a feather collected
after the bird was caught in a mist net, and the bird's parentage was
determined by the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net