[CT Birds] Eastern phoebe, more or less on schedule

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 3 12:03:39 EDT 2008

Noting reports of eastern phoebe being reported in various spots in CT at ctbirds and hearing about a Western CT Bird Club trip having a phoebe in Southbury on March 15, 2008, I have been keeping my eyes out for eastern phoebe here in Washington, CT. Based on my past experience I do not see phoebes here until about 2 or so weeks after phoebes are reported in the Southbury/Woodbury area. I think this has to do with the elevation here, which is about 900 feet, which results in chilly temps lasting a bit longer here. Today, on my walk in my neighborhood here in Washington, CT I saw an eastern phoebe behind a house  located at the corner of Nichols Hill Rd and Painter Ridge Rd.  The time was about 11:10 AM. Now I know spring is here.
By the way, any suggestions out there for nesting platforms for eastern phoebes? My local phoebe has been a bit challenged on nesting here in the last few years. Last year they nested on light fixture on the corner of our garage, which is about 50 feet from the house.

David Babington
Washington, CT