[CT Birds] Birds Then and Now

htg1523 at att.net htg1523 at att.net
Thu Apr 3 14:10:52 EDT 2008

A  very good source to see what bird species numbers are on the way up or
down locally  is  a Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History publication, 'The
Birds of Guilford Connecticut".  It was published in 1961 and is "An
Annotated list by Locke Mackenzie". foreward by Roger Tory Peterson.
    I don't know where any might be available. I found a copy at the Book
Barn in Niantic a couple of weeks ago.    It isn't just a lot of numbers but
filled with many individuals comments and locations of where and when some
of the  species were found.
  For instance, "Short-eared Owl-It is rare in Guilford, Bishop relates
seeing a flock of 16-20 on Oct 17, 1890" and then it goes on to state
present (1960) status and lists  sightings during the 40s and 50s.
  A well worth read.
Hank Golet
Old Lyme