[CT Birds] Snow Geese and Red Shouldered Hawks

Judith Stevens silverbugmom at webtv.net
Sat Apr 5 16:12:19 EDT 2008

Southbury, CT
Around 3 p.m. I noticed two Snow Geese on the grass next to the lake off South Britain Road/ route 172 off interstate 84 at exit 14 and across from the Southbury Training School.  They were feeding with the hundreds of Canada Geese that gather on the lawn.

When I pulled into my condo cluster in Heritage Village the resident Red Shouldered Hawks were vocalizing loudly.
The female was in a tree right near my garage, in a horizontal position; the male was in flight circling above her and made several dives then more circles, always vocalizing.

I've seen new pine needles being added to a nest, and other debris, but perhaps this is a secondary nest because it's just too obvious.  All of this courtship took place  in the cluster area (off Hilltop Road West).  I am in condo 798D.

Judith Stevens
798D Heritage Village
Southbury, CT 06488