[CT Birds] Bird seed tax

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Apr 5 17:14:34 EDT 2008

I try very hard to stay out of this  type of discussion, but I can't remain
silent on this one.   If I ever  heard a bad idea its a govenmentally imposed
Bird Seed Tax.  Anyone who has  ever paid 10 minutes of attention to the
subject  of government and targeted taxes at either the state or federal level knows
that  95% of the money would be gone in bureaucratic overhead before any of
it ever  got to the intended recipients.  Then at the first opportunity the
legislators would find a way to steer the  remainder to their pet projects, which
most likely have nothing to do with  anything anyone on this list would want.

I make considerable contributions to several organizations that  I believe
have the muscle and direction to address such issues (if anyone does)  and I'm
sure many on this list do the same, perhaps far more generously than  I.  The
organizations certainly have their own overhead, but at least 100%  of the
money gets to them.  I know not everyone that feeds the birds makes  such
contributions, but I suspect many do, and I don't feel the "little old  lady" in
senior housing that struggles to spend 50 or 100$ a year to feed her  feathered
friends for their mutual enjoyment should be forced to dish out some  additional
sum that would most likely go down the toilet.  I generally  respond to
special purpose requests from the organizations I know and trust, and  I certainly
would in this case.  I suspect the difference in overhead would  more than make
up for the difference in contirbutions.
Sorry if I have gotten overly passionate on this subject, but I  consider
taxes of any type a last resort, and particularly for a cause that the  general
public would consider non-essential if they considered it at  all.   Almost
inevitably it becomes an additional burden with no  pay-back.

Don Morgan
Coventry