[CT Birds] Breeding pine siskins.

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 27 08:43:26 EDT 2008

Recieved this E mail from a friend about PINE SISKINS in Pomfret.

Hi Paul,

Now, in response to your question about the  presence of other siskins:
Alberta
and I (and a few other people) attended a birdbanding session by Andy
Rzeznikiewicz of CT Audubon in Pomfret on May 24. He netted 2 Pine
Siskins. One was much yellower than the other, so we assumed that one
was a male and the other a female. However, I was confused by the fact
that both individuals had brood patches. Do you know if male Pine
Siskins assist in brooding young? Amazing-Pine Siskins might be
breeding in CT?

Rob Mirer

Nesting is described by Bent as in the middle of a conifer, well out concealed on densely foliaged horizontal limb.
Most commonly chosen trees native to our area are: hemlock, pines, spruces, firs and cedar. Introduced conifer transplants are also occupied. Deciduous trees are occasionally used as well.
Also stated: The male Siskin feeds his mate on the nest till young attain flight. 3 to 4 eggs are the most common.
Bent also states: Only the female has a brood patch, and she alone incubates. The male feeds the female regudjatated food on the nest for 10 days after hatching and she feeds the young. "Interesting."

A study on Siskins in Nebraska showed. " If the mean temp for April were subnormal, the Siskins might stay and breed. Nebraska is of course, as is CT, outside the area where Siskins breed.   interesting.

This morning, had the male siskin at feeder here in Harwinton.

Paul Carrier