[CT Birds] Bolton backyard

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Tue May 27 10:19:50 EDT 2008

I also heard an Eastern Wood-pewee early this morning.  I'm in Lyme.

I'm new to the list and new to CT birding.  Are wood-pewees uncommon around
here?  Also, how common are Black-billed cuckoos?  Are there good places
within a reasonable drive of Lyme to reliably find them?  We had plenty of
yellow-billed cuckoos in North Carolina, but the black-billed cuckoos were
not very common and I've never seen one.

I'm enjoying the yard birds I've seen so far, including Baltimore Orioles,
Blue-winged Warblers (a lifer!), Yellow Warblers, Eastern Phoebe, Wood
Thrush, Scarlet Tanager (I miss our Summer Tanager, the Scarlet doesn't sing
nearly as much), plenty of catbirds, House Wren, Carolina Wren, and a male
ruby-throated hummingbird that has staked out the feeder as his.  I've also
heard Ovenbirds, Wild Turkeys, one night we heard a Whip-poor-will in the
distance and a Barred Owl (which we had in our yard in NC).  Eventually I
will learn which of these are common and not-so-common.

Julie