[CT Birds] Penwood Thrush

paul cianfaglione pcianfaglione at hotmail.com
Tue May 27 13:04:13 EDT 2008

5/27  Bloomfield, Penwood State Park   -     1  GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH.

This thrush exhibited a distinctly reddish tail (contrast with rest of body), brownish face, distinct yellow lower mandible and a multitude of small spots from the throat to the upper belly. There was also no signs of an eye ring . Best of all it called six times (not sang) from a trees lower branch when I spooked it. It was a very loud call note that I have never heard before. I checked my i-pod a little further down the trail and found the call note to be more reminiscent of Bicknell's. I rarely get to see or hear either species so I'm no expert and won't pretend to be ...it was certainly an interesting bird.

Paul Cianfaglione
Canton