[CT Birds] Penwood Thrush

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Tue May 27 14:30:30 EDT 2008

Hi Paul,

Thought you might be interested to note that I was in Central Park on Saturday and found a bird very similar sounding to your bird - rufous edge to primaries and rufous-ish tail and generally warmer than your average aliciae Grey-cheeked. It also had an extensive yellowish cast to base of bill. We were debating pro's and con's of Bicknell's when it actually started to call and then whisper a song - I personally am not an expert on Gray-cheeked Thrush types but luckily my friend who leads trips up Slide Mountain in NY for Bicknell's was there and was confident that this bird was not a Bicknell's and from our deductions was probably in fact the mimimus subspecies of Gray-cheeked thrush - which exhibit many characteristics of Bicknell's. As I recall tarsi coloration (and coloration of the soles of the feet) can be useful (especially) compared to toe coloration but all of these things are more than a little difficult to really observe in the field!

Luke Tiller
Wilton