[CT Birds] Blue-winged, Golden-winged hybrids

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Tue May 27 16:15:59 EDT 2008

Hello Carolyn,

This is a good question. I'm not sure, given the amount of gene flow
apparently going on between Blue-winged and Golden-winged in the Northeast,
whether these "wrong" songs could be considered a secondary song by a pure
Blue-winged or a sign of contact between species several generations back.

I've been listening to what looks like a good Blue-winged Warbler singing a
Golden-winged song on a power cut in Middlebury. I've posted some general
information about this situation on my bird and nature blog (link below)

http://blogs.rep-am.com/nature/

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury