[CT Birds] Captured Cockatiel

William Sweet w.sweet at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 27 18:38:08 EDT 2008

First, I know this is not what this forum is for but I thought it was the best place to get an answer so here it goes....

  Last week I had a strange visitor come to our back-yard in Naugatuck. It was a bird with a call that I did not recognize. Soon the visitor showed up at our feeder. It was a common gray cockatiel. It had evidentally escaped or is a released pet. This bird was obviously tame and not as skidish as the wild birds. Not wanting to see the little guy (or girl in this case) get devoured by the nieghbor's cat or maybe a hawk, I came up with a theory. If the bird was a pet, it might be acustomed to a cage. I had a large cage in my celler 18 x 18 x 36 inches high. I placed some seed in the cage and wired the doors open. Three days later I had a Cockatiel which was quite content in the cage and is currently in my house safe and sound.

  The problem is that I do not want a pet bird. Can someone suggest a good way to go with this? Is there anyone interested in this bird? Is there a cockatiel rescue or something like that? I will donate the cage to anyone or any place someone might recommend. She's a beautiful bird, and her vocalization is not annoying.

  If you have a suggestion or if you are interested please reply.

  Bill Sweet
  Naugatuck