[CT Birds] Royal Tern

Shaun Martin nitram587 at hotmail.com
Tue May 27 18:50:15 EDT 2008

 Today while fishing in the sound off of Greenwich I had a Royal Tern hunting near the boat. Luckily I brought my binoculars so I was able to get very good looks. Earlier in the day I had two large terns flying in the distance but the boat was moving so I was unable to attempt an ID. Great Captains Island seems to be having a good year with many Heron nests. Fishing near the island I watched numerous herons and egrets flying back and forth. Also on the shore was a single American Oystercatcher and a Spotted Sandpiper.

>From Shaun Martin
5/27-Greenwich, Great Captains Island- Royal Tern about 500 yards behind the island on the Long Island side