[CT Birds] OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS in Lyme

Sailcarm at aol.com Sailcarm at aol.com
Wed May 28 14:16:40 EDT 2008

5/28 --  at the powerline cut on Gungy Rd in Lyme, just north of the entrance
to Hartman Park -- I was here this morning mostly to help my husband learn to
use his new pair of binoculars, so I had no intention of doing any heavy
birding and was pleasantly surprised with the birds we did find.  The first bird
that Carmin was able to focus on was a Baltimore oriole and he found that very
exciting.  A few minutes later I heard a "quick three beers" and we both had a
brief look at the OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER.   I was more than exuberant, as
this is only the second one I have ever seen.  My husband kind of wondered what
all the fuss was about.  Shortly thereafter I heard 2 YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS
calling and was able to observe one of them.
All in all, a pleasant morning in a beautiful spot.

Other birds in that area were:  prairie warbler, blue-winged warbler, Am.
redstart, yellow warbler, e. kingbird, red-shouldered hawk, red-tailed hawk,
white-eyed vireo, red-eyed vireo, tree and barn swallow,
e. towee, great blue heron   (My husband loved seeing the raptors!)

On our way home we stopped briefly at the main entrance to Hartman Park just
to get a trail map and in the 5 minutes we were there we saw and heard a LEAST
FLYCATCHER and several redstarts.  Other birds heard: e. wood pewee, veery,
ovenbird, yellow warbler.  Did not see any cerulean w., but we barely went into
the park.

Hint -- When helping someone get used to binocs, start with big and colorful
birds, not flycatchers and fast flitting warblers!

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford