[CT Birds] 5/29 - Sandy Pt & Milford Pt shorebirds AND Big Day (169 species)

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Fri May 30 01:27:26 EDT 2008

>From Nick Bonomo:
5/29 - West Haven, Sandy Pt -- 3 RED KNOT
Milford, Milford Pt -- 4 RED KNOT, 5 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS

One of the three pairs of Piping Plovers have hatched young at Milford
Pt. There were at least 3 little fuzzballs running around this
evening.

Shorebird numbers were impressive, especially at Milford Pt where
hundreds of birds were packing the bars. Semipalmated Sandpipers were
best represented, with a very nice spring count of 1,150. Also notable
were 27 LAUGHING GULLS. 14 species of shorebird for the afternoon.

On Monday the 26th I participated in a statewide Big Day with Jerry
Connolly, Randy Domina, Frank Gallo, and Roy Harvey. We had a slow
morning but ended up with a respectable 169 species for the day. Of
course it was a blast.

Nick Bonomo
Orange, CT
http://shorebirder.blogspot.com/