[CT Birds] Listing Software and methods

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Fri May 30 20:50:23 EDT 2008

I'm a pretty old-fashioned girl, for being a young-un. While I do use eBird and the various Citizen Science studies/databases offered by Cornell, I make my most in-depth observations with pen on paper.
Back in the 1980's, my parents got me a book called The Bird Watcher's Diary, by Edgar M. Reilly and Gorton Carruth (c1986). It's arranged in week-long spans, for example: Jan.1-7, Jan.8-14, etc. Each section has one page for observations and 6-7 pages of some aspect of birding (winter feeders, breeding bird surveys, field equipment, etc.). While it's packed with info, it was the journal sections that I enjoyed the most. I filled every blank page of the book with notes, and once I ran out of space, I carried the format (observations sectioned off by weeks) over to hardcover blank books. I started entering info in earnest in 1993, and now have four volumes of field notes! I record first arrivals, unusual numbers of insects, who's nesting, drops in population, unusual mammal sightings, and a lot of the time, I just wax poetic about the yardbirds.
I go back and read over the weekly entries as I go through the year, so I know when to expect migrators. (Occasionally, a bird will "return" on the exact same day as it did a year... or two... or four ago.) The original diary has a checklist of US and Canadian birds, with room after each one for short notes - I use that to mark down volume # and date of significant sightings. So not only do I have a comprehensive record of the birds in my yard and my birding adventures... it's indexed!
- Tammy Eustis, Chester