[CT Birds] 5/30 Hartman Park

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Sat May 31 12:12:07 EDT 2008

My husband and I spent a couple hours Friday late morning exploring Hartman
Park for the first time.  What a wonderful place!  We saw and/or heard 23
species total (that we identified...).  I finally heard my first singing
Veery!  After hearing them on CD I had wanted to hear one sing, but they are
not very common in NC.  We also found a singing Cerulean Warbler, a lifer
for us.  Another lifer was a singing Least Flycatcher that took us forever
to actually see.  We also saw a Wilson's Warbler flitting around.  How
common are they as migrants in CT?  We saw Tree Swallows nesting in a box on
the pond and we saw a pair of American Redstarts building a nest also.  I
definitely need to brush up on my warbler songs!  I've put the list below
since I am still learning what birds are common or not around here, I didn't
want to miss mentioning something that might be uncommon around here.

Julie Keefer
Lyme, CT

Ovenbird (heard only)
Veery
Gray Catbird
American Redstart (there were a lot of them throughout the park)
Cedar Waxwing (it is very strange to see only 1, in NC you only see them in
large flocks)
Tree Swallows
Red-winged Blackbird
Yellow-throated Vireo