[CT Birds] Stratford BioBlitz Raven! Junco! etc.

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sat May 31 17:02:52 EDT 2008

I'll leave it to others to post their results (and the grand total), but
Charlie Barnard and I recorded 96 species between yesterday afternoon and
this morning. I think that's a strong total considering it was May 30th and
31st and the passerine migration was (or is) over. We stayed primarily in
northern Stratford in the somewhat empty forests. We could have added more
species but others were on top of them.

Hits? Common Raven! We heard and saw one fly right over our heads in the
parking lot at Roosevelt Forest at 7:30 this morning. Fortunately others got
to see it as well. A Junco - we had one along the road going into Roosevelt
Forest today. He was seen by another group too. Amazing...tomorrow is June
and this is Stratford! This morning at Roosevelt also yielded a half orange
Tanager. He was perched perfectly but moved just in time to screw up a good
picture.  We had several Wood Ducks deep in the Roosevelt swamps. Finding a
Pileated Woodpecker at Roosevelt was a somewhat unexpected pleasure.

In the Short Beach area we found 4 Laughing Gulls and at Long Beach we
helped free a Greater Black-backed Gull from fishing line and hooks that
were stuck in him. Yesterday we saw a group of at least 150 Brant fly over
us in a power line cut and we had probably around 300 more in the marshes
off the McKinney Refuge. We had Orchard Orioles at Boothe Park and by the
little park area by the Sikorsky Bridge. We found the Green Herons that I
always see hanging out at Gallinule Pond. Finally, we had a couple Woodcock
at the McKinney Refuge last night with Frank Mantlik.

Misses? Black-and-white Warbler. We searched endlessly and found nothing.
After recovering from this I'm devoting my week to finding one in town. What
makes it less embarrassing (though unfortunate) is that no one found one. No
Cooper's Hawk after all that time in the woods disappointed me. We had House
Finch and Rose-breasted Grosbeak but there weren't many of them anywhere.
Without going into detail we only had one owl. Oh, and no Savannah Sparrows
for us, a definite miss. This is all from memory but there wasn't much else
we "should" have seen, just a few we "could" have seen.

 From Scott Kruitbosch with Charlie Barnard and Frank Mantlik:
5/30 - Stratford, McKinney Refuge -- 2 AMERICAN WOODCOCK

 From Scott Kruitbosch with Charlie Barnard:
5/30 - Stratford, Boothe Park -- 2 ORCHARD ORIOLES
5/31 - Stratford, Roosevelt Forest -- 1 COMMON RAVEN, 1 DARK-EYED JUNCO
(late)
Stratford, park near Sikorsky Bridge -- 2 ORCHARD ORIOLES

Sorry for the length, I'm a bit tired and I rambled...but it's time to
relax!

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT