[CT Birds] 6/1 Sandy Point and Hammo

Profatilov, Grace grace.profatilov at yale.edu
Sun Jun 1 15:04:49 EDT 2008

I took my 4 year old son birding at Sandy Point this morning around 7:30 and we saw 2 Black Skimmers and heard a Clapper Rail. There were too many fishermen out along the main beach already so there were no shorebirds. I think if we could have walked farther down the beach where I could see a lot of Least Terns flying we would have found more birds but it was too far for my son to walk. But I was really happy that he had a good look at the Black Skimmers because they're such interesting looking birds.

Later in the morning, we went to Hammonasett and I saw 2 Little Blue Heron, 5 Semi-palmated Plovers, and 2 Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed Sparrows (a new bird for me!).

Grace Profatilov
Hamden