[CT Birds] Sad News - George Letis

jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 3 07:00:16 EDT 2008

Folks,

News came last night that George Letis passed away.  George was a fixture in
Connecticut birding for more than 40 years.  He and his wife Millie were
active members of the New Haven Bird Club serving many roles throughout the
years.  Millie passed away last July.  George served as President from
1967-1969.  Among his many accomplishments was turning the Treat Sanctuary
at Milford Point back into a place that birders could visit.  In the 1960's
the state rented the building to a gentleman who used it more for a junkyard
than a nature sanctuary.  The club took out a lease for the sanctuary and
George went about cleaning the area and making it a welcoming place for
birders.  George and Millie were both instrumental in the founding of the
Lighthouse Pt. hawk watch.  Many Christmas Count compilations were held at
their house in East Haven.  One of his favorite stories was of a Christmas
count with RT Peterson attending.  Noble Proctor and Davis Finch actually
caught a King Rail in the marshes near the trolley museum and brought it to
the house, hiding it in the bathroom.  They ambushed Peterson, asking him if
it was possible to find a King Rail in CT at this time.  He said no and then
they showed him the surprise in the tub!

I lost my note about when the visiting hours and funeral would be.  I know
it will be at Clancy Funeral House, 43 Kirkham Ave. in East Haven.  I
believe calling hours will be Wed. night and the funeral on Thursday
morning.  When I find my note, or get the newspaper, I will send out a
clarification.

Thanks,
JT

John Triana
Prospect

John Triana
jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net
"Just take your shoes off and get soulful, ya know?" - Otis Redding