[CT Birds] Sad News - George Letis

Clay Taylor ctaylor at att.net
Tue Jun 3 08:17:59 EDT 2008

Hi all -

George Letis was one of the outstanding people in CT birding, and as a
beginner in the mid-70s I would see George and Millie in their Ford station
wagon at Hammonasset Beach SP and Lighthouse Point.  He was always outgoing,
greeting both old friends and birding newcomers with the same enthusiasm.

When the Western Grebe was first reported on Oct 30, 1978 in West Haven, I
got the Telephone Tree Rare Bird Alert call that night.   I was in West
Haven the next morning at sunrise, and found the bird a few minutes later
from the end of Brown St..    I took a few lousy long-distance pictures (no
digiscoping back then!), and then drove down to the gas station on the
corner to use the pay phone to call some of the names in the NHBS Membership
book.   George's number was the first one I dialed, and Millie answered the
phone.   When she told George he yelled loud enough for me to hear "Thanks,
Clay, we're on the way!"    I used up all my pocket change calling other
birders (man, how did we ever live without cell phones?) and went back to
the spot.   Even though a few other birders lived much closer than East
Haven, the first car to turn the corner was the big ol' Country Squire, and
George popped out with a huge smile on his face.   Years later, he would
remind me of that morning.

My one regret is that I failed to speak to George the morning of the
Calliope Hummingbird at Lighthouse Point.  I was leaving, having to travel
to the office in RI that day and I saw George driving in the entrance to
Lighthouse.   I briefly considered turning around, but the timing of my day
was already shaky, and I kept driving.

I hope that George, Ed Shove and Sal Massotta are sharing some good
hawkwatching stories up in Heaven.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net