[CT Birds] Thrush ID? Rt 44 powerlines

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Jun 3 13:37:20 EDT 2008

ID isn't really my bailiwick these days, but I would not call this bird a Swainson's Thrush.  I think they always have some buff on their face and a more prominent 'spectacle'.

That leaves Gray-cheeked or Bicknell's.  I don't recall which one has the more yellow on the mandible, but I also recall that feature shows some variability.  The primary extension does look very long, which would be a sign of Gray-cheeked and the colors are very washed out, which could be a photo artifact.  I won't make a definitive vote either way on that, and would call it a gray-cheeked type based on this photographic evidence, but IMHO it is not a Swainson's.  I am certainly open to correction if others feel I am wrong.

Patrick

PS leaving the email train below, which I don't normally do, but it has been a while since the original posts.