[CT Birds] Jim Zipp Speaking at Naugatuck Valley Audubon Society Annual Dinner, June 17th

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Jun 3 16:05:55 EDT 2008

Posted on behalf of Peter Hornak of the Naugatuck Valley Audubon Society.  I thought this would be of interest to the list since Jim's photographs are so spectacular and this show is quite popular:

Hi everyone,

     We will be holding our annual dinner and program on Tuesday, June 17th.  Everyone is invited!!!  The dinner will be held at 6:30 PM and the program will follow at 7:30 PM.  Everyone is welcome to the dinner and the program or the program only.

    This year, Jim Zipp, accomplished nature photographer and owner of The Fat Robin Wild Bird and Nature store in Hamden, will be giving a program on birds of prey.  Jim's work has been regularly published in National Geographic, Birders World, Birding and Wildbird.  He has traveled all over North America birding and photographing nature.  This will be a wonderful program.

Program:  In Search of Birds of Prey, a North American Journey

      This 2 projector program on birds of prey from hawks to owls and eagles to vultures is based on experiences and photographs taken over 30 years in the field. We will travel from Florida to Alaska with stops at many points in between to see not only the raptors that call Connecticut home but those we seldom or never see. Jim ran a hawk banding station for 18 years at Lighthouse Point in New Haven since he and raptor expert Brian Wheeler established it together in 1981. Discussion is kept light however and does not get bogged down with charts and numbers. The program concludes with a presentation of favorite images set to music.

The annual dinner will start at 6:30 PM.  The dinner will be catered by the Twisted Vine restaurant in Derby.  The menu will include Lemon Chicken, baked ziti, turkey sausage and peppers, roasted vegetables with light oil and seasoning, steamed vegetables with light butter, roasted potatoes, garden salad, Italian bread and butter.

 The cost of the dinner and the program is $22 adults/ $12 children 12 and younger.

IMPORTANT!!  For the dinner, if you haven't bought your tickets yet, please RSVP as soon as possible!!!  We must have a count for the caterer.  Please email Barbara Parente (bmoose2933 at aol.com) to let us know you are coming.   Dinner tickets will not be available at the door!!

For the program alone there is a suggested donation of $4/adult, $2/students.  Admission to the program alone at 7:30 is available at the door.

After the program we will be having our annual fund raising silent auction.  If you can, please bring something to auction.  Items new or lightly used work well.  Annuals from your garden work great.

Date/Time:     Tuesday, June 17, 2008

                     Dinner             6:30 PM

                     Program          7:30 PM

 Location:        Kellogg Environmental Center
                     500 Hawthorne Avenue
                     Derby, CT

Patrick Comins, Meriden