[CT Birds] Willow or Alder?

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 17:11:38 EDT 2008

Is it possible this bird is a hybrid of the 2 species?  It is my
understanding from reading/learning about bird song that Empidonax song is
innate and not learned.  Therefore, wouldn't a bird that seems to have a
song that is similar to both species suggest it was a hybrid of some sort or
a genetic variant at the very least?  Considering how similar these species
are, hybridization doesn't seem all that unlikely.

Julie Keefer