[CT Birds] Duck story

Carol Bauby gypsy.carol at charter.net
Tue Jun 3 22:51:58 EDT 2008

Dear List Members,

Both my husband Tom and I enjoy looking for different ducks at different
times of the year and have traveled the east coast to do this.

Well, on Sunday night, we were relaxing in our family room in the
downstairs of our high ranch, and heard a weird scratching noise coming
from the wood stove that we don't use much because it doesn't draw very
well and the room fills with smoke, even with an addition to the
chimney.  We sort of forgot about it but on Monday night we heard the
same noise.  So there was something alive in the woodstove but what
should we do??? Not open the door in my mind!!!  We *thought* it was
most likely a squirrel who fell in the chimney.  SO, we called our son
who came over today, fearless that he is.  You will never guess what was
found in the woodstove............a female red breasted merganser
(deceased a short time)!!!!!!!!!!! We may never know how this poor duck
fell into the small flue and eventually into the woodstove.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?  The top of the flue is small, about
the size of a cinder block.

  ~Carol in Harwinton