[CT Birds] Duck story

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Tue Jun 3 23:18:10 EDT 2008

Hello Carol,

I've got an answer and a little revision. It's likely the bird is a Common
Merganser, which is a cavity nester and a fairly common nester in CT in the
right habitat. (Red-breasted Merganser builds conventional ground nests and
hasn't been proven as nesting in CT. And of course the females of the 2 are
very similar, especially when in less than pristine condition). The Common
Merg's use of cavities explains why it might accidentally go down a chimeny.
I've heard of Wood Ducks (also cavity nesters) doing the same thing.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury