[CT Birds] Willow or Alder?

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 4 09:11:51 EDT 2008

Hi Greg,

While I have never seen them "on territory" south of Waterbury I rarely
if ever bird any areas between Waterbury and White and didn't know the
ones I've seen there have historically been the southernmost ones.  I
might just try to find time to go and hear this guy as it must be
interesting to here a song that has similarities to both when their
normal calls are fairly different.

Great info to have especially with birds like these which in the absence of song/calls can be a tough call!

Thanks,
Jim

The Fat Robin Wild Bird and Nature Shop
3000 Whitney Ave.  Hamden, CT 06518
www.fatrobin.com
203-248-7068
Toll Free U.S.  1-866-Fat-Robin

Jim Zipp Bird Photography  www.JimZipp.com

Hello Jim,

This is one of the fascinating things about Alder Flycatcher. It seems to
have a very clearly demarcated southern limit in the state. So far, I'm not
aware of any breaking out. That 8 miles might as well be 80 based on
happenings to date. But things have changed in that direction with other
birds (sapsucker, raven), and quite quickly, so you never know when a bird
like this Watertown guy will represent a move away from the norm. That's a
great thing about this list. If it starts to happen, we can share info very
easily.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury