[CT Birds] 6/4 - Royal Tern, "Western" Willet

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 17:11:03 EDT 2008

>From Nick Bonomo:
6/4 - Milford, Milford Pt -- ROYAL TERN seen roosting briefly and then
feeding just offshore in early afternoon, RED KNOT
West Haven, Sandy Pt -- "Western" WILLET, 3 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS,
15 BLACK SKIMMERS

The Willet is a very ratty first-summer bird I am confident in calling
a "Western." I have posted some photos and brief ID discussion here:
http://shorebirder.blogspot.com/

If anybody has any thoughts on that willet, please let me know.

The skimmers at Sandy Pt were investigating the tern colony. Some
birds were paired off and displaying. Looks promising that they will
return to breed here after a year's (?) absence.

Nick Bonomo
Orange, CT