[CT Birds] Willow or Alder?

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Wed Jun 4 18:43:20 EDT 2008

Hi Glenn,

It looks like we're getting a pretty decent discussion going on the status
of Alder Flycatcher in the state. I'm aware from others' reports that there
are some Alders in the northeast part of the state (such as Pomfret). I
recall Mark Szantyr (he may want to chime in) mentioning a site somewhere
out east. I also recall him saying he had very limited contact with them out
there.

Clay Taylor told me that there were Alders at Durham Meadows many years ago.
I'm not aware of any established territorial birds that far south now, but
someone out there may have info that hasn't been disseminated. Zeranski &
Baptist mention possible (but not confirmed) breeding in the Conn R Valley
south of Hartford. Again, I'm not aware of any territorial birds in that
area now.

It's possible (totally specualtive on my part) that various attempts by
Alder to extend its range in CT have failed because of the dominance of
Willow Fly where they occur together (from Birds of N.A. Online).

It's also good to note that Alder is probably the latest migrant among CT's
breeding species, so birds heard singing Alder songs even now in southern
areas may be migrants (as Frank Gallo noted in a post on one from the recent
Stratford Bioblitz).

Greg Hanisek