[CT Birds] Waterbury peregrines

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Thu Jun 5 21:31:19 EDT 2008

Several people (Bruce Finnan, Patrick Comins, Melissa Baston, Twan Leenders, if I remember correctly) have reported seeing Peregrine Falcons in recent months at the confluence of Interstate 84 and Route 8 in Waterbury (known on the nightly news at the Mixmaster). All have suggested possible nesting, and there are plenty of places under all those highway decks and superstructures.

I work within sight of the Mixmaster, and have seen peregrines in the area on and off for several years. They occasionally use the tower of my place of employment, the Republican-American newspaper, as a feeding station. I've written before about finding Woodcock heads and other bird parts in the parking lot.

This evening around 6:30 I was on a local street towered over by the highways. I saw a soaring peregrine and was able to pull over and watch. It eventually went into a stoop and then shot under the highest deck of I-84 (the eastbound lanes). This certainly would be a possible place for a nest - also a very difficult place to look at safely.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury