[CT Birds] Stratford Residents Needed for Monday Evening. Help protec Long Beach

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Jun 6 10:08:12 EDT 2008

We are on the verge of a major success for conservation and public access to Long Island Sound.

Stratford's Town Attorney will present "final option agreement" to Leg Council at Monday's Legislative Council Meeting for the sale of Long Beach West (not the existing public beach) to the USFWS for inclusion in the Stewart B. McKinney NWR.  Public portion of the meeting begins at 6:45 (public (Stratford residents only!) is asked to speak at start of meeting) and regular meeting starts at 8 pm.  Council will be called into executive session during the regular meeting to review option agreement. Agreement will be released to the public at that time.

Chair (Henrick - sp) has also posted a public hearing for 6 pm on this issue but it is unclear what the implications of that are or if it will actually be posted or take place.  In any case, the more supporters are there to speak in favor the better the chance of approval.

The council will set another public hearing but we have NO idea what date they might choose and we need supporters out for Monday.

Certain of the council members are particularly important to reach out to if you support this sale:

Alvin O'Neil, Tommy Moore*, Mike Julian*, Henrick.

It seems unlikely that Cubick will support.  Strumer at one time was supportive but switched his vote in December and no one knows why.

Everyone else will probably support but NEED TO HEAR FROM SUPPORTERS.  Anything we can do to get calls, emails and letters out to them will help.

Patrick Comins, Meriden.

PS  Keep your eyes peeled for another alert related to funding that everyone in CT can participate in.