[CT Birds] Milford Point

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Sat Jun 7 10:44:35 EDT 2008

>From Frank Gallo and CT Adububon Birding Group
7-June, Milford Point.?Our early morning bird walk produced?the pair of Orchard Orioles that has been around for a few weeks.? The male is a 2nd-year, the pair are probably attempting to breed.? Our first Purple Martins of the spring arrived today.? There was an adult male, and either a female or young male hanging around our Martin House.? Last year's nest attempt failed, so we're hopeful that this year will be successful.? There is still at least one Common Tern hanging out?around the bars with the many?Least Tern?(50+).? Another set of piping plovers has their young?off the nest.??A pair of American Oystercatchers is nesting on the end of the same bar.? Some of the fencing has fallen down and areas with Least Tern nests are not always clearly marked. We're reminding birders/photographers to avoid walking on the bar with the fencing, especially during the breeding season.? There is already too much foot traffic for the nesting/migrating birds, so the less addition disturbance, the better.?Thanks for spreading the word!? There have been a few Glossy Ibis in the area, as well..? up to 6.