[CT Birds] Bird Songs and related links

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sat Jun 7 13:55:20 EDT 2008

At the COA birding by year workshop this morning there was discussion
of a few web-based resources that people might find useful.  Here are
the ones I know about.

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Macaulay Library is one of the
world's major repositories of nature sound recordings.  At their web
site you can click on "Explore our Online Collection" and then give a
species name.  For example, it just returned 101 (!) matches for
Hooded Warbler (Wilsonia citrina), and 61 for Blue-winged Warbler.
These aren't just the selected and edited pieces you get on a
commercial CD, they are more like the sum total of the field work on
the species.  Anyway, that web site:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/macaulaylibrary/

Patrick Comins mentioned the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center web
site, where there are descriptions, photographs, recordings and range
maps for many North American nesters.  That site is here:
http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/

Some people were interested in the recording equipment that Chris
Field had with him.  There is a superb Yahoo discussion list on the
subject of nature recording in the field.  This is a serious list for
discussions about field recording, processes and equipment.  I read
it a bit now and then, though it is all pretty well over my head.
These guys REALLY know what they are talking about.