[CT Birds] Birding-by-Ear online resources

FIELD, Christopher cfield at audubon.org
Sat Jun 7 13:59:20 EDT 2008

As a follow-up to this morning's COA Birding-by-Ear seminar, here is a list of online resources for listening to (and in some cases visualizing) bird vocalizations.

Many of the holdings in Cornell's Macaulay Library have been digitized and are now available online at the link below. If you download or already have the quicktime plugin, the site will display a sonogram which, I believe, you can actually set the parameters for: http://animalbehaviorarchive.org/loginPublic.do

Also from Cornell, has short snippets of common vocalizations: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/

>From the Feds: http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/song.html

And here are some locally recorded marsh bird vocalizations that are posted for UCONN and Audubon's marsh bird monitoring project (many more recordings will be added to this site in the near future). I think you need quicktime for this one as well: http://home.comcast.net/~chrisfield

And when all else fails, sometimes just Googling the species you are looking for can pull up some interesting recordings.

Chris Field
Bristol