[CT Birds] Highlights: Birding-by-Ear online resources

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sat Jun 7 14:26:30 EDT 2008

Highlights from the COA Birding by Ear Seminar:
6/07 - Audubon Center at Bent of the River -- 62 species, I never got a head count of observers. Calling female COMMON MERGANSER, 2 GREEN HERONS, 3 YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS, ACADIAN FLYCATCHER (amazing but brief looks and listen), YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, 3 PURPLE MARTINS !, 13 species of warbler, including NORTHERN PARULA, amazing looks at 2 courting WORM-EATING WARBLERS, amazing looks at LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSHES, PRAIRIE WARBLERS, HOODED WARBLERS and ORCHARD ORIOLES.

You almost (but never really) take the Bent for granted working there every day, but when you see the list of nesting birds it underscores what a really cool place it is.  Going on 8 years with my office there and the Bent makes you say wow every visit.   Just wish I could spend more time outdoors there!

Complete list below, including the Yellow and Am. Redstart heard after the seminar (please feel free to tweak #'s or correct any mistakes if you see any).

Location:     Bent of the River Audubon Center
Observation date:     6/7/08
Number of species:     62
Common Merganser     1
Wild Turkey     5