[CT Birds] breeding C Mergansers

MARIA STOCKMAL m.stockmal at snet.net
Sun Jun 8 11:16:49 EDT 2008

I believe they must nest on the Housatonic River near Shelton since there are always many of them near the Derby-Shelton bridge.  I'm still investigating what I thought was a female Red-breasted Merganser with at least four young under the Division St bridge on the Naugatuck River in Derby.  I checked the internet sparingly and the young of both the Common and Red-breasted Merganser look somewhat the same.  I haven't been able to get back there to find them again.  Greg Hanisek questioned me on it and thinks it was probably a Common Merganser.  I did not have a scope with me and the female bird was hunkered down.  But, when she picked up her head the tuft on her head was quite wild and the quick look I had at the beak looked thin.  I'm still not finished with this sighting yet.

  Maria Stockmal
  Branford

Carrier Graphics <carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  I am interested in Patrick's COA trip at Bend where they had a female Common Merganser.

Here in CT, I believe around 1982ish, I spotted a female common Merganser with young on the Farmington river in Collinsville CT. This was the first documented sighting of a breeding bird south of the Barkhamsted / Colebrook areas just south into CT of the Mass border where they had been nesting since I believe the mid 70's. The first documented nesting was in 1962, but CT Atlas does not say where this sighting was.

So how far south has this species of duck reached as a breeder here in CT since these dates? Could you please post some of your southern breeding sightings here on this post? Especially south of the Farmington river.

Thanks, Paul Carrier