[CT Birds] Mansfield Hollow dam/airport

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 23 11:50:29 EDT 2008

Birding the dam last night, with Phil Rusch, I had two species I've not seen in the Storrs area before.  An immature black-crowned night-heron was feeding along the near edge about 3/4 of the way to the first bend in the dam - this is an early fall date for this species, by about a week, according to the Birds of Storrs.  A little closer to the parking lot we also had a Virginia rail.  Earlier in the week Phil had seen a family group in the same spot.

Other notable species included 5 hooded mergansers (family group), 2 solitary sandpipers, and a few least sandpipers.

Chris

Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT
elphick at sbcglobal.net