[CT Birds] A little off-topic, but bird-related

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Wed Jul 23 22:39:13 EDT 2008

During the last 2 days, I've gotten in 3 Double-crested Cormorants for rehab.
2 came from Greenwich Point, 1 from Belle Haven.  All 3 are presenting
similar neurologic symptoms.

Has anyone seen or heard about similar situations?  I am mystified as to
what I'm dealing with.  I'll be taking the birds to a vet tomorrow.  I'm concerned
that this may signal the beginning of some sort of epidemic among the
cormorants.  Newcastle's disease is an issue along the west coast.

Meredith Sampson
Director, WILD WINGS, INC.
Wildlife Rehabilitation & Environmental Education
Old Greenwich