[CT Birds] Dead Belted Kingfisher

Phil Asprelli aspr82 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 25 09:04:17 EDT 2008

7/25 - North Haven
  Backing out of my driveway at 6:00am I noticed a dead bird lying in the road obviously struck by a vehicle. Upon investigating I saw that it was a Belted Kingfisher which surprised me because the closest water is the Quinnipiac River, about a mile away. It did afford me an opportunity to see the bird "close up" an take note of the feather markings and pattern which are not obvious when observing the bird from a distance. If something should be done with the bird other than burying it, please advise.
  Phil Asprelli