[CT Birds] Two first of year birds

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 23 13:49:19 EDT 2008

This morning at 7:30 @ Bakerville swamp, New Hartford had a 2 - fer.

It was foggy, but  seen close by the rd under a bush by the water was a first of year YELLOW BELLIED FLYCATCHER. Stayed close for 5 mins. A new bird for me in this swamp in all the years i have birded here was a Double crested Cormorant.Unusual place for this bird.  Just before leaving,  while talking to a woman walking her dog, I spotted another Vireo, probably a Warbling, but it turned out to be a PHILADELPHIA VIREO! great looks at both new birds this morn. Also seen were 8 Empidonax flycatchers believed to be Willows and Alders.

Paul Carrier