[CT Birds] Whale watch birds

MARIA STOCKMAL m.stockmal at snet.net
Sun Aug 24 14:40:50 EDT 2008

Yesterday (Saturday) I went on a whalewatch with CT Audubon and in addition to having quite active humpback whales we also had Greater Shearwaters, a very large number of Cory Shearwaters, a Wilson's Storm Petrel, and Parasitic and Pomeraine Jaegers which flew around our ferry several times.  Andy Griswold took many photos of the jaegers and also saw a Sooty Shearwater that unfortunately I missed.

Today, Sunday, the last three of the Piping Plover chicks have fledged.  My final count is 16 fledged chicks and six pairs.  And while checking out the Mute Swans and Canada Geese for the DEP I had a Wood Duck and a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.

Maria Stockmal
Branford