[CT Birds] hummingbirds & more

recoverywing at cox.net recoverywing at cox.net
Tue Sep 30 11:13:45 EDT 2008

CT  Birders,

 Don't give up on those hummingbirds yet! Yesterday  I only observed one bird all day and  today there is two duking it out in the gardens, and I am in the middle of the state! They are still coming through! Keep your flowers cared for and your feeders filled.

Today I could hear the whiny call of  a red eyed  vireo,  Eastern phoebes,  bluebirds,  house wren,catbirds and  common yellow throats along with a coopers hawk were all present until the accipiter showed up.

The last couple of warm and wet days got the frogs going, peepers and gray tree frogs have been singing and my husband told me he was dodging them in the road the last few nights.

I am off to pick up a cat caught warbler at a vet in Bristol.  I guess common yellow throat because they forage low to the ground and are regularly cat caught . But maybe it will be something really different, and hopefully fix-able!

Jayne Amico/Southgington