[CT Birds] Bridgeport

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Tue Sep 30 20:14:09 EDT 2008

Hi Folks

Here is a summary of Bridgeport Shore for September
Including Ash Creek, Black Rock Harbor and Seaside Park

Most recently there has been a general increase in Black Ducks. There
was a lone Greater Scaup of St. Mary's moving about a lot and looking
rather lost. Looking at the general trend Once can see the decline in
Shorebirds and Double-crested Cormorant.

I continue to be amazed by the quantity of Great Egrets and their
locations. At low tide they line up  like the royal guards around the
base of  St. Mary's. They can also be seen in the pond at Seaside
Park. In the 80 they were scarce and never so tolerant of people. It
is hard to imagine In the 30's they were nearly hunted to extinction!

One can also see the peak of Laughing Gulls have passed. It is
interesting that the Herring Gulls have been declining. I would guess
that there was a post breeding dispersal and now a movement out of
the area. Hatch year (HY)  Herring gulls seem to be found in
clusters. One area you hardly see any and another they may make up
half the birds observed.  The trend of few HY Ring-billed Gulls
continue. Go up to Beardsley Park and about half the birds are HY.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

Date	7 Sep—16 Sep—25 Sep—30 Sep
Tide	Low—Low—Low—Low