[CT Birds] orioles

recoverywing at cox.net recoverywing at cox.net
Tue Sep 30 20:49:30 EDT 2008

Hi All,

This afternoon I was surprised by not one but two baltimore orioles. The first was a supposed cat caught warbler, not! When will I learn!   It is an adult female oriole who is missing all of the primaries and secondaries on one wing. Not a recent issue may be a feather follicle issue. The bird has been on the ground for at least 2 weeks as there is no breast muscle at all on that side and there are blood (pin) feathers already beginning to emerge.

The second oriole was another female/immature who showed up this afternoon among the feeder birds in my yard. Will see if it sticks around or keeps moving. I freshened up the oriole feeders for it. Both hummingbirds present until dark.

Jayne Amico/Southington