[CT Birds] Barred owl call, male vs, female, and Mississippi Kite breeding in CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 2 20:58:25 EDT 2008

I have noted a couple of barred owls calling in the early night here. One is calling at a bit lower tone. I know one is supposed to be able to tell the difference between the genders of owls by their voice but I forget which has the lower call. Anyone out there that can educate me on this gender difference in the call of the barred owls?

I noted in my recently received Hawk Migration Studies from the Hawk Migration Association of North America (HMANA) a comment from Ian MacLeod, President of HMANA, that "a few weeks ago I heard word that a pair of kites (Mississippi) had successfully fledged a chick at a nest in Connecticut!". I had heard that this news was not being revealed  in CT. Is the word now out about Mississippi kites breeding here in CT? Ian MacLeod also noted that Mississippi kites had breeding successfully on a street in Newmarket, NH.

David Babington
Washington, CT