[CT Birds] Rocky Hill & Station 43

Carl Ekroth cekroth at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 3 12:35:49 EDT 2008

This morning I checked out the meadows at Rocky Hill and didn't find anything until the field across from the moto-cross track.  There were 4 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, 1 LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 14 KILLDEER & 3 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS.   A sharpie put them all up and they flew about 3/10 mile west along the road.  I moved down and found in the wet field on the left 4 more PECTORAL SANDPIPERS and about 12 more KILLDEER.  Along the river were 1 adult and 1 imm. BALD EAGLES.
S. Windsor, Station 43, it was quiet but I did find: 1 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, 1 PILEATED WOOD PECKER ( the first I've seen there) 1 HOUSE WREN and 2 RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS. There were a few WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS scattered around.  The mosquitos were horrendous everywhere at 43 and the road in was very wet.  The water is quite high at the ponds also.