[CT Birds] Sunrise Birding Walk - Dickcissel, Orange-crowned, Cape May Warbler etc

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Oct 4 15:27:14 EDT 2008

Hi All,

A simply phenomenal morning in the field around Wilton. We
started at Allen's Meadows and quickly ran into the DICKCISSEL and were
treated to fantastic views of the bird as it teed up in a beautiful
autumnal dogwood near the woodchip pile. We also managed to add?
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW (a nice adult), EASTERN MEADOWLARK and Nashville
Warbler to the list for the day but couldn't relocate the Blue Grosbeak
that Phil had seen moments earlier. The action was coming thick and
fast with good numbers of common species.

As things started to quieten down at Allen's (probably due to ensuing
soccer games) I decided on a hunch to go and have a look at Schenks
Island near Wilton Center. If anything the action was almost better
there with a large wave of warblers (75+ birds) working the open
woodland edges. Highlight bird there was a cracking ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLER which showed for a unbelievable looks down to about 20 feet whilst sat up picking
through the Goldenrod - allowing lots of time for the
group to study the diffuse breast streaking and yellow undertail
coverts. In total we managed to track down 12 species of Warbler
including single CAPE MAY and BAY-BREASTED WARBLERS in amongst a number
of Nashville's (one of the Nashvilles was pumping it's tail much as a
Palm does which I recall is a tendency that the western subspecies
exhibits) and hordes of Palms.Somewhat surprising was the lack of
Yellow-rumps in the mix - I almost expect them to dominate proceedings
at this time of year but there were just a couple. Other highlights
included SWAINSON'S THRUSH, YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER and 3 Towhees.

After 4 hours or so I think we were all pretty much
exhausted by the constant action and retreated to have a well earned
brunch at Orems Diner we had gone way past breakfast by this point! This is what October birding should be all about
- great birds, lots of action and best of all great people to share the
experience with. Thanks to all who came for making it a wonderful
birding morning.

Luke Tiller, Sunrise Birding

www.sunrisebirding.com

>From Luke Tiller with Sunrise Birding Group

04/10 - Wilton, Allen's Meadows -- 1 DICKCISSEL, 1 EASTERN MEADOWLARK, 1 WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW.
Wilton, Schencks Island -- 12 Species of Warbler including: 1 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, 1 CAPE MAY WARBLER, 1 BAY-BREASTED WARBLER, 1 SWAINSON'S THRUSH, 1 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER.