[CT Birds] Radar Alive Tonight

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sat Oct 4 22:41:57 EDT 2008

A quick look at the radar shows every radar station surrounded by a circle of blue.  It isn't the heaviest I have seen it this fall, but it appears to be a strong migration and it is very widespread.

Looking at the wind, it appears that it will mostly be from the west tonight, with some north thrown in.

This brings up a question, and I have no idea what the answer might be.  How far do night-migrating passerines travel in one night?  Obviously it varies by species, by individual bird, by weather, by wind, and probably by other things I know nothing about.  Regardless, does anyone know if there is anything published on this?  It is only in recent years that night migration has started to get studied, so it may be one of those things we just don't know yet.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT